Sunday, February 17, 2013

Books I Got (10)

It's been established so clearly that I can't even lie about it: I have no self-control when it comes to books. I acquire them at a much faster rate than I can actually read and review them, but hopefully these posts will help those books get some exposure NOW instead of waiting until I actually manage to find time to, you know, read them.

This post is for the past few weeks.


For Review


Colossus Rises
by Peter Lerangis


So the word on the street is that this book is going to kick off a series that will be the next Percy Jackson. Instead of Greek myths, we're questing after lost artifacts hidden within the seven wonders of the ancient world.

So, basically, it sounds like I'm in for a fast-paced quest adventure with all sorts of cool whiz-bang magical artifacts. Things are looking pretty good.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I did get to skim through the first few chapters while I was waiting for my takeout food to be made (waiting for takeout is just one of many reasons you should never leave home without a book), and I'm already pretty hooked. Short chapters, punchy writing, lots of action, and a good dose of humor. Things are looking really good.

Won through Goodreads First Reads (just when I thought they'd given up on me!).


The Nightmare Affair
by Mindee Arnett


Between the cover and the title, I already like this book. The concept is pretty intriguing, too. I've read a lot of paranormal books, and I've read a lot of boarding school books, and I've read a lot of paranormal boarding school books.

But I don't think I've EVER read a book where the main character is a nightmare. And I mean that literally, as in, a type of paranormal creature. How cool is that?

And while exploring all the possibilities of such a creature could totally keep me occupied for an entire book, Mindee Arnett doesn't stop there. She weaves in a mystery, complete with hot guy and a murder (though not a murdered hot guy, hopefully). Yay!

Requested and received through NetGalley.


The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle
by Christopher Healy


Be still my heart! I'm still basking in the glory that was the first book and now I can dive into the second! And, look! All of my favorite characters are on the cover displaying all their awesomeness (well, ok, not ALL my favorite characters. There are a lot of characters in this series!)

I might just have to take a day off work so I can dedicate a hardcore reading session to this book.

Pitched, requested, and received from the publisher.


Emilie and the Hollow World 
by Martha Wells


I'm slowly making my way through this (it's my backup read-while-drying-my-hair book) and I'm not really sure what genre I'd put it into. There's elements of steampunk (meh), but that does also come with historical fantasy elements (yay!) and there seems to be a good dose of adventurous questing as well.

Most importantly, I fell in love with Emilie's voice almost instantly and there's a certain other (male) character I am dying to learn more about. 

The cover is pretty awesome, too.
 
Requested and received via NetGalley.


A Natural History of Dragons
by Marie Brennan


I haven't started this book yet, but I'm already well on my way to falling in love with it. 

First off, there's that cover.  Second, it's historical fantasy. Third, it's historical fantasy following an intrepid adventuress whose job is to study dragons. Fourth, Gina gave it 4.5 stars.

Fifth, I don't need a fifth. I'm in love already.

Pitched for review by publisher.


Firebrand
by Gillian Philip


This is a fantasy split between the historical fantasy setting during a time of witch burnings and a pure fantasy world of the Sithe with war, peril, and brothers.

So, yeah, I'm totally on board with that  and I was already pretty excited to start reading Firebrand. Reading the first chapter (and falling in love with the voice of the male narrator) sold me further.

And then I read the author's interview (you'll get to read it soon), and, oh. my. gosh. I will be SHOCKED if I don't love this book. Not only did her responses include a bunch of amazing stuff that pretty much describes everything I want in a book, but she compared the main character to Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer! Spike! How can I not fall in love with this guy?


Do we need a gratuitous Spike picture here?

Yes, yes we do. (You can click it to make it larger.)



Unsolicited review copy sent by publisher.



Fox Forever
by Mary E. Pearson


This is the third book and I haven't read the second yet. But, I did read the first and I adored it (get it? get it??)

Actually, I loved the first book so much that I'm afraid to read the sequels. Anyone read the second book and have some feedback for me? The first book ended perfectly as a standalone, so I'm worried I'll end up tainting my experience by reading an inferior sequel. What do you suggest?


This arrived as a surprise, but I'm pretty sure the source is Shelf Awareness.

Bought


The Night Angel Trilogy
by Brent Weeks


I've had my eye on this series for a while (fantasy? a kingdom in turmoil? assassins? A cadre of hot men? YES PLEASE) so I was beyond excited when I saw the entire trilogy on the sale shelf at the library.

Now all I need to do is find the time to read them. 




The Princess of Egypt Must Die
by Stephanie Dray


Stephanie Dray! I have been not-so-patiently awaiting the final book in her Cleopatra Selene series (WHEN IS IT COMING OUT?!?), so I practially screamed with joy when I saw she had released a novellette.

True, this isn't about Selene, but it is set in (even more ancient) Egypt and that plus Stephanie Dray is enough for me! 




What did you get this week? Are you interested in reading any of these books? What did you think of them if you've read them already?








.

19 comments:

  1. Whoaaa. Good stuff doll! I can't wait for several of these reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got Storming the Castle?
    aWESOME!! can't wait for the review!! I so want that book!!! I LOVED the first one.

    Also, I listened to the Fox Inheritance and it wasn't as good as the first (which I also listened to). Let me know if you want to give it a try, I can send you my audiobook if you want ;)

    And we always need Spike pictures!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep I know! I can't wait to start Storming the Castle! Do you think you'll do another video review? I loved your video for the first book :)

      Aw, thanks for the feedback on the Fox Inheritance, though I'm sad to hear that. And thank you so much for the offer! *HUGS* I can actually get it from the library, but thank you :)

      Yes!! You can never have too many Spike pictures!

      Delete
    2. For Storming the Castle? I do want to make a video review but it all depends on if I got time 'cause of work. But I'll be reviewing it for sure, one way or another.

      Delete
  3. I'm very interested in A Natural History of Dragons-I hadn't heard about it before (looks like it's an adult book so that's why). I also have The Nightmare Affair and I'm really excited to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natural History of Dragons does sound like a book you'd enjoy. I'm very interested in your take on both those books.

      Delete
  4. I haven't reviewed it yet, but I loved The Fox Inheritance! It definitely takes things in a new direction. Don't be afraid. Just jump right in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. You have some incredible reads coming up soon. Thanks for mentioning me in the Natural History of Dragons blurb. I sure hope you like it. I'm just liking on it because of the writing style. I also had a lot of admiration for the main character since her love for the sciences was forbidden in that era. I'm really looking forward to A Nightmare Affair. It will be fun to do another read together. Its been a while, the last one we read together was Claws. I think that was way back in Aug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope most of these are good! I feel like I've been in a reading rut when it comes to my review books. They've been dud after dud.

      Oh my gosh, August is so long ago! We need to fix that, stat.

      Delete
  6. I just started FIREBRAND--that opening prologue is killer! I'm very curious this interview you speak of, so will be on the lookout soon.

    Look forward to your thoughts on NIGHTMARE AFFAIR and DRAGONS. I enjoyed the former (3.5 stars) and am starting the latter soon.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is killer! So tense and emotional. The interview will be up on Monday :)

      Delete
  7. Really, really want to read The Nightmare Affair! Also, The Princess of Egypt must Die looks SO good! Great haul this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Princess of Egypt Must Die was free too! I was so excited when I saw that deal.

      Delete
  8. I love Spike! Love. Lovelovelovelove. Oh sorry. Anyway, the book that also interests me is The Nightmare Affair. I do love the cover, but not totally sold on the premise. I'll have to see how my fellow bloggers like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eeeep me too!! You never have to apologize for unabashed Spike love :)

      I'm cautiously curious about The Nightmare Affair. I could see it going either way.

      Delete
  9. This is wonderful!! I love all these fun titles you have here - I hope you love them all! :))

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want Nightmare Affair! And don't bother telling me to break my NetGalley ban--I have and I'm not going to do it again for a while. No, ma'am.

    Also, *fist bump* for getting up our Books I Got posts.

    Also, also, I want to read the Stephanie Dray novella! I'm worried because I'm afraid she doesn't do happy endings, though, so I'm going to let you read it first for me. I'm going to do that with the last Cleopatra Selene book, incidentally.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...